Waking Sleeping Sign Repose Wish
The gleam in your eyes is so familiar a gleam...

Leave a Comment

down time
2002-10-01 - 5:27 p.m.

This weekend was... well, it was. I didn't have to travel anywhere, I got to sleep in my own bed, and I had the joy and pleasure of hanging out with friends.

But, (there is always a but) I was on call, which randomly sucks, and the wrists are feeling better, but not perfect by any stretch of the imagination. I've been sleeping with the wrist braces on, and working fine most of the day without them. My chiropractor adjusted them last night when I went to get my back cracked. It was good, very gooood.

Friday night, Kirsten was already up and visiting and she and Alan had worked a bit in the shop in prep for chairs, round 2 this weekend. They took it easy, remembering that they aren't getting chairs out of this (just pictures and the joy of trying a new technique) and besides, there is no Pennsic rush. Afterwards a call was placed to Rob and Wen that involved an odd conversation about pants and pantlessness and dinner and culminating in them picking us up in the Tahoe at 8 for dinner. (Sounds a bit like a game of Clue. It was Genevieve in the Tahoe with the tire iron! nah... I'd use the steak knife.) Of course we drove to our old haunt Harry's which was packed to the gills, odd, very odd, must have been a special function. So instead we decide to actually eat in at the Chinese Japanese place we normally get delivery from. The service was a bit slow, but with such great company, it is hard to mind. Back at Casa Gravesend we attempt late night conversation and end up just all going to bed early. bums, I know, but it was great.

Saturday I was actually up before 9am, and Mel and Shane arrived between 9 and 10, and then the power went out. Power back on just before 11, I watch some TV, finish my weaving, they sit and talk plans, get up to get going and the power goes back out... I think they finally got started on the chairs by noon. So, we aren't setting any land speed records this time. I watch some TV, do a tiny bit of cleaning, and get to sewing the final estoile and one of the swords. My machine gacked up more often than I would have liked on the swords, especially considering they are mostly straight lines. I think it has something to do with the two layers of spray adhesive and three layers of fabric, or something... who knows... I'm sure I did something else, but at this point in time I can't remember.

Saturday night to avoid trying to get a party of 8 tired folks into a restaurant without waiting 2 hours, we decided on Outback Takeaway. Mel and I went to fetch the food, waited a bit and they forgot Alan's steamed veggies and Shane's mashed 'taters, and whisked the food (smelling really good about now) back to the house. We actually managed to get 8 folks around our dining room table and all eat almost like civilized humans. Some folks hung out by the copper fire pit on the back patio, some folks became one with the furniture, or floor if you are Gainer, and some folks decided to go home early to crash. All in all it was a low key but very fun evening.

Sunday was more chair making (which I stayed blissfully away from) and I watched some more Deco TV and then made a run to Bed Bath and Beyond and then a grocery run for lunch fixings for the crew. It took a little longer than I had hoped. In the end, the food got home fine as did most of the stuff I had purchased at BB&B, except that I got OrangeGlo split on the back of my truck. At least it came out of my new sheers. Eh, all is well, but I got no sewing done at all on Sunday.

Last night was laundry. It seems like Monday night has become my normal laundry night of late... Watch out for my mysterious life...

<< - >>

Host Profile Share Me

SCA Diary Ring
Join Now Ring Hub Random Previous Next